Thursday, March 21, 2013

Puli Paruppu - paati's own recipe

Disclaimer : Ok, this is the first time I am writing a recipe on my blog. So, if it isn't exactly in the usual format (if there is one), please don't mind.

My paati and mother have always made this recipe called puli paruppu. And from times I can remember, I have only tasted it. Today was my turn to cook for my roommates and I was too lazy to cut any vegetables. And I didn't want to make any authentic sambhar, because all of us are too bored already. So I thought about attempting to make puli paruppu. Called my mom immediately, disturbed her in the midst of her office work and got the recipe and just made it. Speaking to Deepa Iyer (an amazing foodie blogger, who cooks and eats here), I thought why not share the recipe. So, here goes.

Puli Paruppu - paati's own recipe

Ingredients :

Mustard seeds (kadugu) - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds (jeeragam) - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek (vendayam) - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Channa dal - 1/2 tsp
Toor dal - 2 cups
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Dried red chilli - 4 to 5
Tamarind - 1 orange size (soaked and pureed in two to three cups of water)
Asafoetida - to sprinkle
Curry leaves

Method :

1. Boil toor dal in a pressure cooker until 5-6 whistles, so that it becomes a little soft, pastelike.
2. Heat oil in a thick bottom pan; temper mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek, asafoetida and curry leaves
3. Add dried red chilli, urad dal, channa dal till the dal becomes golden brown.
4. Pour the tamarind water into the pan and allow it to boil for about five minutes. Add salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder.
5. Once the mix has boiled well, add the toor dal paste and continue to boil. Stir continuously.
6. If it is thin, add some rice flour mixed with water to thicken the gravy.

 Serve hot with rice and eat well.

PS: This goes too well with potato fry and arisi appalam

6 comments:

  1. Besh Besh romba nanna irukke. Proud of your cooking skills, Prashanth.

    Shall soon try and let you know.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..Nice Prashant..I usually try this but never know we call it as "Puli Paruppu" :):)

    Yes this suits well with arisi appalam & Potato fry..Also we can try with Aloo Bhujia,mixture :D

    Nice try Prashanth.

    Regards
    Sathya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sathya :) Aloo bhujia, next time !! Yep

      Delete
  3. Kalakals Prashanth. :-)) Mega proud, soon we'll be asking you for recipes! :D

    ReplyDelete