Sunday, March 24, 2013

Of cocktail parties and beaches

So, this has turned out to be one legendary weekend. Long, but nonetheless fun. It had a bit of best and worst, in not so equal measures. This is what happened.

On Friday night, I was invited to a cocktail party by someone I know here. This person had an extra complimentary ticket and asked me if I could join. Well, who would say no? Free food and free booze - isn't that what every man dreams of. So I immediately said yes. There was just one problem though. It was a formal party - by that I mean a suit and tie party. I didn't have both. I somehow managed to borrow one from a friend's friend (which fit my size, that being the most important) and was good to go.

Now, this cocktail party was more of a fund raiser event. And being a student, I was in no position to contribute anything. So, with just good wishes in mind and heart, I reached the venue around 8 PM. That's when I realized I was in the midst of the 'who is who' in this place. Big shots all around, and I really felt a bit out of place. Until the alcohol was brought in.

Thankfully, I found a bunch of people around my age and they kept me company for the evening. We had some really nice moments and they did everything in their capacity to make me feel welcome. Atleast, outwardly. Or genuinely. Anyway, we were eating and drinking and drinking and eating and well you get the picture, right? At last count I had had around 10 rounds of whiskey. And then came the chief guest. And the wine.After his speech, there was a bit of interaction among everyone present and I was stuck with a middle aged couple, who turned out to be really sweet. I sat with them for the main course and they spoke highly of Indians and how they take care of their parents. That sure did feel nice.

The night went on for a while longer than I'd expected and finally when it was time to leave, I was about to hail a cab back home, when another middle aged uncle offered to drop me off home, as his house was just near mine. Thankfully, I was spared of the cab charges.

So I thought this is where the weekend gala would end. And I was so wrong.

Waking up on Saturday afternoon, I had to go to a friend's place to celebrate the birthday of another friend. So, the entire group came up, and the birthday boy was genuinely surprised. Party poppers, cake, sprite, the bumps - well the usual happened.

And then another friend calls up and asks me to come over to ECP for a night out session. Basically, the park has scores of barbeque pits where you can sit and drink your way off, right next to the beach. And its open all night, and no one bothers you as long as you don't bother others. There's a long cycling/jogging trek along the shore and it is one of the most blissful places in Singapore. And we were to spend the night at the beach drinking. What more can one ask for?

The night started off around 11 with a round of whiskey, another round of whiskey and on to vodka, beer, rum, breezer and on and on. Talk, drink, lie down on the beach - well the sequence pretty much repeated. And who else can keep you good company apart from Ilayaraja, especially when you are drunk and get into your philosophical best.

Some people were sloshed, some dozed off on the bench, and some of us were up talking the entire night, right until 7 in the morning, when we decided to call it a day. Heading back to Little India for a well deserved breakfast of Idly vadai and filter kaapi, the weekend seemed to have ended.

Putting up a few pics of the sunrise from the beach.




7 comments:

  1. Looks like you had one hell of a weekend Prazziii :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm ECP is indeed a nice place to hang out . Now they have closed the komalas that used to be there :( or else ur breakfast could have been there itself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You didn't mention girls, Prashanth ;)

    ReplyDelete