Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012, as I saw it and 2013, as I hope to see it

So 2012 went off smoothly (perhaps not). Too many good and a lot more not so good things have happened the last year. The fag end of the year went off in all of us anguishing over the gangrape of an innocent 23 year old girl in Delhi and later an entire nation mourning her loss. Somehow, it is sad that a lot of these events were not something we could do anything about.

But, as I sit here and think of the past year, I am reminded of a few events that happened in my own personal life, some which I cherish and some, not so much. 2012 was a momentous year for me, because I finally got the balls to do something I wanted to do three years back. I decided to pursue my Masters degree. Thankfully, Singapore formed a natural choice, considering I was very particular about not going too far away from home, yet a place that offers excellent scope. The point about not going too far, was in a way driven by the fact that 2012 was the year when my parents completed 25 wonderful years of wedlock and I did not want to miss out on organizing something grand to commemorate the occasion. Thankfully, that went very well. It also gave me a shocking reminder that I am growing old, something I am still coming to terms with.

2012 was also the year when I completed a one year long relationship with my new gal. She's black, but brilliant. An amazing companion, knows what I always want, and bows down to every wish. She goes by the name Spark :) Yes, my own car, bought out of my own money (well, dad is now paying the EMI, but still). Also, this year, the first male cousin in my family got married and relatives are now behind my back, hinting at tying me down. Thankfully, Singapore gave me a helping hand, atleast for now.

That said, I hope 2013 would also be as momentous as 2012. For starters, I really hope I find a job soon so that I can once again get independent and not be tied down by the troubles of an international student. I hope to make certain important life decisions as well, and I hope things fall into place (for details, offline please). Lets see how that goes. And a couple of other wishes, all in due time.

But now, to the more important question of what I did on New Year's Eve. Although you might well have guessed, let me elaborate. The evening started off with spending time on Orchard Road (read this for more information) and hitting a pub there with two office colleagues (well, I am working with a company for a month) and then head to Marina Bay Sands (read this) to drop the jaws at all the decorations and then go back to this place called Clarke Quay, which is the booze capital of Singapore.

So once at CQ, we bought a couple of beer tins and found a spot for ourselves (this time, with my college friends). And trust me, we made the maximum noise in all of CQ, considering there were more than atleast a thousand people assembled (or much more). And one of the friends became the victim of all the sarakku abishegam. Two beer tins, a bottle each of Coke, Sprite etc. were swaha'ed on him. Poor chap.

All this done, we formed the usual train and ran around the whole place, making complete fools of ourselves, but not bothered in the least bit about it, wishing the most random people a Happy New Year, well and all that, till a few policemen came and asked us to shut up. So, there. The police factor is also in place. Some more time there and it was back home around 2 AM, completely drunk, but nonetheless, having the best of new year in recent times.

Happy 2013 :)

-Prashanth

9 comments:

  1. Happy New Year :) Love the train :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, brings out the child in all of us :)

      Happy new year Deepa :)

      Delete
  2. Happy new year Prashanth... Hope 2013 brings you all the good things and ties you down with a wedding ;)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anand :) Happy new year to you too :)

      Also, need I remind that seniors like yourself are in the queue to be tied down, before kids like us can even think about it? ;)

      Delete
  3. Okay, 'black and brilliant' is somehow a tad better than 'black, but brilliant' :P
    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, 'black and brilliant' is somehow a tad better than 'black, but brilliant' :P
    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prashanth, loved this post. Quite a candid one from the heart. I'm glad that you chose to follow your heart and study. I always keep telling people to study more. If someone sponsors me, I will continue studying throughout my life, you see. Congrats on finding love and keeping it. May the sparks (pun intended) always fly between the both of you.

    Here's to a wholesome 2012 and a fabulous 2013.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan :) Wishing you a brilliant 2013 as well

      Delete